Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Jules Verne and Shaun

Well, this weekend marked the annual journey to the centre of the earth, with the Earthcore carnival. Three days of music and frolics in the Victorian countryside, with some of the best local and international djs and musicians. We grabbed a couple of tents and the usual crew and headed for the hills on Saturday, for an overnight trip. Technically the festival had been going since Friday, with a lot of people having been there since Thursday, but there is such a thing as too much time dancing in the sun :) The trip up was pretty uneventful, your basic driving up the Hume with a slight detour, and we arrived about 2pm on Saturday and set up our little camp. Then we took a stroll through the stages to see what was going on and to check out where everything was. The layout was pretty much the same as last year, although the toilet block had an added trailer full of showers and also a set of trees with a mist sprinkler running all day to keep people cool (using reclaimed water)

The music was, of course, superb, although I got a bit trapped on the Hydra floor and had trouble going anywhere else. That means I missed 1200 mics and TISM, but it also means I saw GMS, Hallucinogen and Raja Ram, so that’s pretty good :) Danced my arse off as usual, spending most of the time from about 4pm Saturday until 12pm Sunday on the dance floor, with a few rest stops back at base camp. I also managed to avoid getting soaked by the water truck when it came to spray the dance floor and the dancers to keep the dust levels down. All in all a very good weekend was had by all, with about 6000 very happy earthcorers, give or take a few who went a bit too far :)

I went a little further than the normal Earthcore tradition of taking Monday off work and also took Tuesday off. So Monday night I went around to Kate’s house to watch my copy of Shaun of the Dead with Kate and her housemate Gill. I’m a big fan of that movie as I mentioned earlier and I think Kate and Gill are too now. Gill also went and got us some pizza from somewhere local, and it was pretty darn good. It was funny because when I arrived Kate asked me if I had noticed that Gill had gotten some dreadlocks, and I had to explain that I’d just come from the planet of the dreadlocks and hadn’t really noticed anything different with Gill (althouhg they do suit her I think) because I was used to every second person having dreads :)

The bulk of my Monday and Tuesday was spent playing Full Spectrum Warrior on the PC and watching a few movies, which I shan’t list here because I can’t remember what they were ;)

No comments: