Saturday, March 05, 2005

usual haunts

Last night was a trip to the usual haunts, yakbar and de biers.
I think our attitude to De Biers has changed a bit since "the incident" (Venue 28) and while it's still basically crap, we now have a much larger scale of crap to rate it on, so it's gone from an 8 to a 2 ;)

So we started at a very busy Yakbar, with Nicole, Joe Leah, Kathryn and some general IT crew. Clare, Erin and Clare's brother Ben and his friend Mel joined us later on and stayed for a bit before heading down to De Biers.

We stayed for a while at Yak, and I had a flickr friend of mine buy me a drink even though he wasn't there :) Two weeks ago I accidentally ran into Stuart from Flickr, as he's good friends with Pete, the DJ that works at Yak, so he'd come down to see Pete and listen to him spin. I was somewhat surprised to see him there, and we had a bit of a chat, and he took a dodgy photo of me, and I took a dodgy photo of him (mine was too crappy to post). So as I was leaving I secretly bought him a drink via Baz, so he didn't get it until I had left :) So he'd had Pete keep an eye out for me and buy me a beer next time he saw me, which he did :)

free beer



The funny part is, that I don't normally drink Coopers, and I already had a Jack Daniels and coke going, but didn't want the beer to get warm, so I started alternating sips, and that's where the trouble started. You see, unbeknownst to me, it turns out that beer and bourbon go exceedingly well together. Or specifically, drinking a wheaty beer like Coopers sparkling ale, and then drinking a nice bourbie, like Jack Daniels and Coke, work extremely well together, each making the other taste significantly better. So you end up drinking a mouthful of beer, then taking a sip of bourbon that tastes almost orgasmic. Seriously, a couple of times I even lost concentration on the conversation around me and just stood there savouring the taste. Then I'd take a few more mouthfuls of beer, the first being superb and finally getting back to the normal beer taste, at which point it was time for another taste of bourbie heaven :) Then again, drinking two drinks at once has even your barman looking at you funny. Oh well, I was a borderline alcoholic anyway…

Then we popped down to De Biers and caught back up with Clare and Erin and the crew there. We were a bit confused at first because where we normally sit was all roped off for a 21st birthday party, and we couldn't see the guys anywhere else. Then Joe spotted Erin over behind the roped off section. They'd talked their way into the party because Clare wanted to watch the footy on the big screen :) Typical Clare chutzpah :)
We hung out with the girls 'behind the velvet rope' and had a pretty good time. Took a bunch of photos of Erin because she's such a crack up (and she loves the camera) and she's such a cutie :)

cool ez



We kept it pretty low key and left about 11:30, plenty of time for a few slices of pizza and a tram trip home :)

No comments: