Thursday, March 31, 2005

Reports of my death have been mildly exaggerated.

Blah blah blah, insert self deprecating quip about being a slacker, blah blah blah :)

So, what's being going on? The usual :)

These days I find myself walking around with my head on a swivel, constantly on the look out for a good image, the next perfect photo opportunity. I try to carry my camera with me everywhere, just in case something interesting takes my eye, and on the very rare occasions when I don't have it with me, I see such bizarre and noteworthy sights that it makes me cry on the inside for not having captured them.

orange



In the process I've discovered a lot of very interesting images nestled in amongst the everyday stuff, and it's pretty cool to spot these little things, even if you don't capture the image perfectly, it's still a buzz to notice it :)

my favourite bridge



Another benefit of being turned into an internet broadcast node for flickr/blogger is that I have made a number of friends in all sorts of weird places. It's kind of weird to think that taking photos is a way to make friends, but it works really well. All you do is share your photos, and take the time to looko at the photos other people have shared. Comment nicely on the ones you like, and especially on the ones that make you laugh, don't forget to be specific if you can, and you'll end up having them comment on yours. You'll end up taking photos to show to them, and they'll take photos because they want you to see them, and it all ends up in abig mess of friends and it's great :)

Photo opportunities:
Airshow - pretty good airshow, the usual collection of boys toys being perused by the usual collection of mullet wielding petrol heads :)
Moomba - didn't get any shots of waterskiing but I did get some great fireworks and night-carnival stuff.
Light and movement - spent a bit of time trying to capture images from moving vehicles, and managed to score a few good ones :)
Dilo - a flickr favourite, capturing a Day In the Life Of flickrites, photographers from around the world, all capturing what they were doing during the day of 21 March 2005.

Dancing opportunities:
Two tribes - A great piece of fun, lots of good music, many great friends, and some spectacular dancing. Had some very very funny moments, especially when a new friend of ours (lilsarah) was getting ravers to show us their spinning around trick where they spin their hat the opposite way so that the hat seems to stay still while they spin underneath it. So funny to watch her work these guys. We laughed for hours :)
Jan Johnson - Went to Room for Kathryn's birthday and saw Jan Johnson perform. She was awesome, singing the vocals to heaps of really good tracks, really a top night. And good to be out and about with Joe, Kathryn and Clare. :)
Belfast - Popped in to the Prince of Wales for the Belfast gig. A great night, some good music and not too crowded.

Social opportunities:
Whitehorse Closure - The Whitehorse Inn on Burwood Rd closed this month. The pub is one of the ones we used to frquent as it's just across the road from Mick & Steph's, and just down the road from me and Katrina, and they have acceptable beer. The pub closed because of an insurmountable increase in their state property taxes. In 1998 Property tax for the Whitehorse was $1400, and this year it was $40000. I challenge any small business to come up with a spare $40000 per year just by snapping their fingers. It's a pretty nasty situation all round, with businesses all over the state being forced to close their doors. The land the Whitehorse is on will be redeveloped and turned into an office block. Great.

1 comment:

Apprentice said...

Woooo Mr Scoot is blogging again! I am a happy blog lover. More please. Especially the photies! Yeay.