Thursday, November 17, 2005

Suspect Behaviour


"You can't stand next to the tree with a camera"
Originally uploaded by Scootie.

There I was, in Federation Square, camera perched on the crook of my arm, waiting for my SMS to come up on the Optus display boards, when I hear the finest piece of security work I've ever been witness to:

"excuse me sir, but you can't stand next to the christmas tree with a camera"
"what?" I ask, not sure I heard correctly
"You can't stand next to the tree with a camera"

awesome. just awesome. I'm stupefied by a mix of confusion and disbelief.

"how far away I need to be?"
"about ten feet"
"can I take a photo of the tree?"
"yes, that is fine"
"why?"
"orders"
"does it seem strange to you? we're standing in a large tourist area, next to a giant tourist attraction, but I'm not allowed to have a camera"
"are you going to move sir?"

So I kowtow to the greater authority and move to the designated distance, and stand there with my camera, satisfying the needs of the security guard, and all is now safe and happy in the world.

Of course, fed square is private property, so they have a right to expect me to follow any legal directions or leave the premises if I don't like it, but I didn't feel like getting kicked out of fed square, and that's how it was looking.

So I emailed them and this is the response I got:

From: "Peter Middenway"
Subject: Policy re photography at Federation Square

Scott, Thank you for your e-mail in relation to your contact with
Security at Federation Square last night. It has and always be the
policy of Federation Square to encourage photography within our
precinct. I am afraid that on this occasion, a guard new to the site,
made an incorrect decision based on newly acquired training in relation
to suspect behaviour.

I apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused and will ensure
that in future all security guards are aware photography is encouraged
on this site.

Regards,

Peter Middenway
Manager - Security & Services

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

where is this federation square? coz my name is DANIEL Middenway :-P i just find it interesting when i find other Middenways :-) i wana know how to contact this guy :-D hehe, thanks for any info you can give :-)

Dan

Scootie said...

Federation Square in Melbourne, Australia
His name is Peter Middenway and his email is peter.middenway[at]fedsquare.com