Sunday, February 05, 2006

Carl Cox



Originally uploaded by Scootie.

Saturday night it was time to hit The Metro for the much awaited Carl Cox gig. Carl Cox is one of the grand masters of dance music, has been a world class DJ for decades and is still capable of creating a fantastic set of music. There had been some concern early on about my ability to take the camera into this gig and use it to shoot photos for ITM, as the promoters, Hardware, have a policy of no media access except their own house photographer, and had already denied ITM a media pass, so it was possible that I wasn't even going to get the camera in, and I definitely wasn't going to be able to blag better access to the DJs once I was in.
We hit the gig in good time, Joe, Nettsu (Michael) and myself and didn't get any hassles at the door. Once we actually showed up at the gig I started to worry less, as the security was being run by the same guys who did it for the TIGA gig, and I knew they'd recognise me and Joe from previous events. Once We were inside the gig it was a bit early and there wasn't much of a crowd gathering, so we did a quick once-around to see where the various stages were set up and then settled into the main room near the bar and started drinking :)
We were joined shortly thereafter by some other friends, Ashley from work, Trashy from ITM, and Fee (Fiona) and her friend Brina, who are old friends of DJ Mudgutz's (pictured above).
The music on the night was excellent, with a room thumping performance by Honeysmack and a huge set by the man himself Carl Cox. I was taking it fairly easy, still being on call, and spent a little bit of time wandering around taking shots, trying to at least get some decent shots of Carl Cox and also a few of Luke McD who was DJing upstairs in the Electro lounge portion of the gig. Poor Luke got the same timeslot as Carl Cox, so there was not that many people in the room while he was playing except a few dedicated Electro freaks :)
After the gig we were all a bit tired, so Joe, Brina, Fee and I headed back to Fee's place in Carlton to crash and talk crap, which was really good, we were cracking each other up consistently until my pager went off and I had to pop home to sort something out. Fee even gave me a lift as they had to go sort out some stuff in the city :)

No comments: