Wednesday, October 20, 2004

television inspired thoughts

I love watching those americans and their electoral system. I think it's really important to follow new technology, I mean you can't stay living in the past when you could have punch cards, mechanical tally devices, touch screen polling booths, lever activated polling booths, little curtains to guarantee their privacy, vast advertising campaigns to register to vote, since the percentage of registration is so low. I'm just a bit concerned about the most powerful democracy on the planet, fighting to bring the right to vote to the oppressed nations of the world and yet they seem to have a lot of trouble with one of the relatively minor aspects of the process: COUNTING THE VOTES.

I know you always feel loyal to your own country and stuff, but we just have cardboard booths, cardboard crowd control devices, paper ballots, pencils taped to string, and yet, somehow, through all this antiquated technology, we somehow manage to actually count the actual votes that people make. I know. It's crazy. We must be doing something wrong I'm sure. I hope the free trade agreement lets us buy some new fangled vote-calculator-trope to bring us out of the dark ages ;)

Also, I just had the TV tell me that ballroom dancing was in a revival, because there is a TV show (two actually, but I guess the ABC doesn't count) and a movie with J-Lo, and that the revival started with Strictly Ballroom in 1992. I'm not 100% convinced that a revival we're going through right now can be linked by a cluster of events twelve years after their 'initial' event. Is it just me?

And at the moment the Banks aren't the ones making the beautiful 'embrace life' adverts anymore, now it's beer. Anyone seen the new Crown Lager ad? makes me want to go out and buy insurance or something. ;)

No comments: