Monday, January 24, 2005

Adventures in Scootieland

So what's been happening? Just the usual collection of shenanigans
Not much amateur alcoholism this weekend as I'm on call, so I had to limit my intake to that of a normal person - very difficult ;)
The week itself went fairly smoothly, nothing much of note except that work provided my birthday cake a week early, so I had to explain to everyone that it's next week, not this week, but It's not worth complaining that you got cake when you shouldn't had, nobody's going to listen to that sort of seditious talk.
Friday night was spent with a little time at Yak with Joe and Daimo. One of the things I like about Yak is that you can sit by the big window on Russell st and watch the world pass by, it's very relaxing :)

Then Joe and I headed off home, only to be sidetracked to The London in Richmond to meet Pommie John, Mick and Steph. The London is a pretty good pub, normal prices, pretty good location for us (short walk to our tram lines) and on any given night, full to the brim with extremely attractive women. :) So we had a few drinks with Pommie John and then went and found Mick and Steph, who were entertaining some Canberra friends, and had a few drinks with them. They seemed a pretty interesting crew, and I even got a bit more of the low down on the KPMG Canberra flooding that happened a few weeks ago. There was a funny moment where Mick brought out his new HP PDA/Phone that he's been talking up for a while, to check a phone number. I think he was planning for us all to go 'ooh and aah' when we saw his new cool phone, but I just quickly pulled out the new XDA I'm carrying for work and started to tease him that his was so big it must be a bit old now :) just some good natured geek fun, to which his reaction was to tell me to go and do something which I won't repeat here :) I don't normally go for the one-upmanship of hi tech, but I just couldn't resist, because he was so proud :) Of course his device he had to pay for himself, and the reports form the people at work who evaluated them say that they are in fact better than what we're currently using, both in features and battery life, but I couldn't a dig because our new devices just happen to be a bit smaller :) We left the pub pretty early, with almost everyone mostly smashed by about 11:30pm (except me [on call] and Steph [driving]), Mick deciding to interrupt a nice photo of the pub with a distinct pose:

electric boogaloo



Saturday saw the arrival of Kim's "Life of Berley" birthday party, to celebrate the fact that she's the same age as Jesus (and Brian from Life of Brian), with the idea being to dress as your favourite character from Life of Brian. I ended up running very late because I had gotten almost all the way before realising I hadn't remembered my copy of Life of Brian which we were planning to watch, so I had to go all the way home again and get it and come back again :) But apart from that things went well, I arrived in time to have a bit of a chat with everyone and watch Berley blow out the candles on her cake. I also was able to witness the torment of Troy, dressed as King Herod, at the hands of Berley, Rik and Shaz. Very amusing to watch, and of course even more amusing to catch on film:

the king is judged


(I suggest you follow the link then check the next few photos by clicking on the thumbnails to the right of this shot)

I'm assuming that Troy was King Herod, because he was wearing a crown with a big H made out of stars. Of course, King Herod wasn't alive at the time Jesus was crucified, having died some 28 years before Jesus (or Brian). But it kind of works out ok, because Berley was dressed as the Round Yon Virgin (including internal Baby Jesus) and Herod was King of Judea when Mary was preggers, so it all kind of makes sense. Kind of.

After Berley's party I headed into the office to do a photo shoot that I had been thinking about for a while, the computer room. I think there are some nice shots there, and I got to practice a few techniques such as macro shooting and light painting. Saturday night was spent at home with 'teen as she had no money until next pay (a fairly common occurrence these days for both of us).

rat's eye view



Sunday was spent wandering around the city playing the tourist game and trying to take some nice shots of Melbourne, but I really only ended up with a few 'blah' shots and a mild sunburn :)

1 comment:

8291 said...

first i discovered your pics on flickr, now i read a bit of your blog. i like the uncomplicated way in which you share what is going on your life!

(i wish i could write that straight!)