Sunday, November 21, 2004

a good week

Pretty good week this week, lots of good movies, lots of time with friends, and some serious dancing.

Started early in the week, with the traditional sausage sizzle at the church across from work on Wednesday. Since it was warm and sunny, Clancy and I just sat outside the church chatting and enjoying our cheap eats. Although, to be honest, they aren't as cheap as they can be. I had a few snags at a scout sizzle in swan hill a few years ago for 40c, and they were raising money, so it probably cost then 20c each or something. Even accounting for city meat prices etc, I can't see it costing more than 50c to get a sausage cooked and sauced and slapped into bread. So the church charging $2.50 is a bit steep, but it's fun. I just noticed how weird that '40c' looks, I guess it's so rare that anything costs less than a dollar these days, that I'm not used to seeing it. :)
Then Wednesday night I went to see Dodgeball at the movies. Piss funny. You might have to be a Ben Stiller/Vince Vaughn fan, but I am, and I loved it, laughed myself silly all the way through, really enjoyed it. A lot of people panned it (and a lot liked it) so Clang and I figured we'd need to discover for ourselves, and I'm glad we did.

Thursday was the regular movie night and there wasn't that much choice, so we went to see The Polar Express. As far as the plot goes it's not my first choice for a movie, sappy family stuff about Christmas and Santa and friendship and blah blah blah. But with that out of the way, it's a cutting edge digital animation feature and I was willing to stretch it :) Stunning animation, very lifelike, although still clearly not reality, the elements were fabulous. Kids hair blowing in the breeze as they stood on the back platform of the train. Anyway, it's pretty funny, nice and sappy, good animation, worth seeing I guess.

Friday turned out to be pretty much a perfect day. Started at work, had some laughs, did some work, blah blah. :) Then after work popped down to Yak for a few beverages, drank a bit with Clare, found out she's a huge fan of The Sweetest Thing, which made me happy, because it's a really good film :)

The trip to Yak was necessary to make sure I had consumed enough tasty drinks, to cover for the need to drink VB stubbies at the work social club function I was about to go to :) The function was ok. It was the usual boat club on the Yarra, which is ok the first time (like when I started at the firm 8 years ago), but if you go there once or twice a year, it starts to get old :) But as with all things at the firm, it's the people not the place, so we had a pretty good time, chatted to some new people, got to know the new facilities people that I hadn't really dealt with much, so that was good. After the social club thing I went and met Damien and Mikey at St Jerome's and then back to capers to get Ash and his friend before heading off to the main event of the evening, the Jeff Mills gig at The Metro.

The gig was fantastic, superb music, nice visuals (although I saw a bit of AVJ footage, stuff I have myself). The guys on before Millsy (Phunk de Sonique) were very good, and set the mood well for Jeff Mills' set, where he seriously kicked arse. The crowd was going wild and everyone seemed to be having a good time, I know I was :) At one point the audio died on the decks he was using, so they rolled out a spare table and he played on that until they had the main decks back up and running. There was a gap of about a minute when the decks first died, but the transition back to them once they were fixed was so smooth that I didn't notice until a bit later :) Millsy played for a good 3 hours and then Simon Digby came on and played for I dunno how long, but it was all good. Millsy plays his own stuff and there's a lot of raw sound that just gets into your skull and rattles around for a bit, good stuff that makes you dance big time! :)

I think I might be a bit of an alcoholic after all, because I drank a great deal through the night, starting with JD & Coke at Yak, moving to VB stubbies at the social club function, a couple of Coopers sparkling stubbies at St Jerome, then a few Tooheys Extra dry stubbies at the Metro and finally a few stubbies of Jim Beam and cola to wash it all down. I don't think the fact that I didn't drink anything for the rest of the weekend will be a good defense either, because that's still a lot of alcohol to consume :)

Got out of Metro about 7:30am and trammed it home with Joe, getting home about 8:00am. Couldn't really sleep but ended up snoozing on the couch a little, 'watching' a few movies like The Life of Brian and Team America: World Police, despite not really remembering seeing much :) I didn't even notice when Teen came out of her room and started talking to me, I just woke up feeling very non-refreshed and found she'd gone out and I'd had an hours sleep :)

Joe and I headed down to Fitzroy in the arvo to pickup our Earthcore tickets for next weekend (woo hoo!) and I couldn't remember exactly where the office was and ended up getting rock-star parking right in front of it :) We then headed into the city in search of a boost juice, and stopped at the juicery next to damien's house, just as they were closing, so we got a couple of freebies of what they had made up during the day that hadn't been collected, so that was good :) After we left the juice bar we sat outside to drink our drinks and we saw the two girls who came into the shop after us get locked in as the staff couldn't open the door again, they tried for a few minutes, even going out the back door and coming around with the keys and just couldn't manage it. I then laughed myself silly when damien just walked up and pushed the concertina door in the middle and the whole thing just slid open. so funny :)

Damien had just come back from Dubai, so he went to put on his dish-dash and invited us in to view his photos, pretty cool, lots of fabulous buildings. The funniest souvenir he brought back was an alarm clock in the shape of a mosque that sings the call to prayer for the alarm sound. very Blackhawk Down :)

Saturday night Damien, Kate and I went to se an absolutely hilarious film called Napoleon Dynamite. so funny, so tragic, such losers, it was superb. I might need to see it again. I'm a bit concerned about Kate, every time I see her lately she's looking better and better, and it's starting to get ridiculous :)

Sunday was international lazy day, with just the usual watching of DVDs and doing some work from home. Watched: THX-1138, The Hitcher, Mission to Mars, all new acquisitions :)

No comments: